Initial Ideas

One of the main reasons why I chose to explore this poem is because not only is Larkin one of the most influential poets to my work on a whole but, I thought it was a good opportunity to portray one of his less famous poems 'Mr.Bleaney'. 
Mr.Bleaney portrays a combination of three main themes, loneliness, the passing of time and drawing on the mundane. The poem illustrates a young man moving into a room where the past tenant (Mr.Bleaney) has passed away, and his thoughts of their lives merging into one. 

Initial rough sketch of how the poem will 
be portrayed through six separate images. 
Philip Larkin 
I thought this would be a great poem to explore through imagery due to it's colloquial language and direct imagery. Verses such as 'Flowered curtains, thin and frayed, Fall within five inches of the sill.' and ''...stub my fags on the same saucer-souvenir.' portray great images. I also think this poem plays to my strengths because it is all located in the same room, in my previous work I have enjoyed creating rooms and scenes where small details can be left.  

Comments