Kitchen Sink Realism

To further my inspiration and to help my compositions I have been looking into the film movement of 'kitchen sink realism'. These films were created in the late 1950's to early 60's and are typically set and filmed in the north of England. They often depict a working class young man who is dissatisfied with his day to day life. 'Room at the Top' directed by Jack Clayton in 1959 portrays a young accountant who falls in love with an older woman despite being set to wed a young wealthy girl. I think the subject matter and the context of these films reflect that of Larkin's poems, and it would be interesting to explore the connections in more depth. I also think it is interesting that although both the films and the poems share a mundane theme, they were being produced at the same time and in the north of England.

Comments

Post a Comment