Edwin Headley Holgate 1892 - 1977 and Tirzah Garwood 1908 - 1951

 Edwin Headley Holgate was an engraver and painter from Canada who was involved in the Group of Seven artists in the 1930's. 

The group were concerned with the conservative genre of art in Canada at the time, they wanted to shift the quality of art to express their feelings of their subjects. 

Through looking at Holgate's work they remind me a lot of the kitchen sink dramas that came slightly earlier than Loach, but still they convey an atmosphere of the every-day life but the textures and patterns used make the image interesting. This is something that I want to convey within my own work and I think through print I will be able to achieve something similar. 

Labrador Kitchen No.1

Although I haven't just recently discovered her, I think Tirzah Garwood is necessary to mention as a big inspiration of mine and Holgate's prints reminded of hers. 
Garwood was an engraver and was married to Eric Ravilious until his death in 1942, I found Garwood's work through looking at Ravilious a few years ago and always revert back to her for inspiration. 
I find her use of line to create depth and texture within prints as good things to put when there is blank space in a print which you don't want to cut out or leave blank. 
I find the expressions she manages to cut on her characters faces as what I would like mine to look like and the atmosphere she creates reminds me very much of the kitchen sink films which makes sense as she was creating when those writers and film makers were being born. 

Comments