Richard Billingham

Looking further into how social realism and the portrayal of the working-class within higher brow cultures can be seen I found Richard Billingham's work. 


Billingham's work documents his childhood growing up in a council flat in Black Country. 
Billingham's work seemed very familiar to me and I think as much as I love the realism of the 
working-class and the celebration of being working-class it's important to explore these very harsh conditions and the realism of growing up with neglected parents in poor living conditions something I'm very lucky to not of experienced. Some of the detached expressions that Ray and Liz (Billingham's parents) hold, never looking fully at the camera is something that I try to achieve within my work and the natural compositions of his work has helped me in figuring out what to do with mine.

Comments