Women's Weekly Print

 

After the reflection drawing being successful I saw the photo of the woman reading and the shadow on the wall gave me a similar theme and carries on the notion of reflecting on Loach's films. 
As she is reading from what looks like a fashion magazine, I wanted to make sure it was noticeable that the magazine was aimed for women as the magazines are often deemed as not being very educational or considered a valuable thing to read. 
This is a theme that I have mentioned before in regards to the accessibility of art when I drew the covers of the Penguin books.
There is strong assumption that working-class or poorer people do not have a high education or are not intelligent, which is something I wanted to highlight within this scene.
By taking a generic title such as Women's Weekly and bringing the two together verifies that no matter the subject the act of reading in itself is educational and holds purpose. 
The lettering on the magazine was inspired by the Radio Times covers I have posted before and the background of the lines are inspired by Tirzah Garwood. 
Although I think the writing could be bolder I'm really pleased with how this turned out, I was unsure about printing in gold ink but I think it reflects the scene well and the themes of Poor Cow. 




Comments